Academic Curriculum Vitae
Henry Ford College (HFC), Dearborn, MI.
Adjunct Faculty, January 2008 to present.
- Teach classes in music theory, recording techniques, Finale notation software, and rock music history.
- Taught private students in electric bass.
- Substitute-teach classes and ensemble rehearsals as needed, including the concert choir, jazz band, and symphony band.
Metropolitan State University of Denver at DIME, Detroit, MI.
- Taught courses in music theory, music history, chart writing, and arranging.
- Coordinated curriculum design, instruction, assessment, and administration between the Detroit and Denver campuses.
Detroit Institute of Music Education (DIME), Detroit, MI, (partnered through Falmouth University, Falmouth, UK).
Instructor, August 2014 to 2016.
- Taught courses in music theory, composition, arranging, and artist analysis.
- Served on college committees.
- Substitute-taught other songwriter and performance major classes as needed.
Wayne State University, Detroit, MI.
Student Theory Tutor, August 2006 to May 2010.
- Provided individual and small-group tutoring for music fundamentals, music theory, ear training, and orchestration students.
- Graded theory tests and homework assignments.
Master of Music in conducting, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, May 2010. Kypros Markou, program director.
Bachelor of Music (cum laude) in composition and theory, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, May 2008. Dr. James Hartway, program director.
CURRICULUM AND ADMINISTRATION EXPERIENCE
Metropolitan State University of Denver at DIME - Campus Manager, 2016.
- Maintained audition and teaching standards at the Detroit campus.
- Designed and implement curriculum in cooperation with DIME Head of Education and MSU Denver Curriculum Committee.
- Coordinated the delivery of hybrid and online instruction, including music and non-music course delivered to Detroit from Denver.
- Coordinated Denver academic student services for Detroit students.
DIME Learning and Teaching Committee - Member, 2015-2016.
- Served on committee dedicated to teaching and learning strategies and improvement.
DIME Student Support Committee - Member, 2015-2016.
- Served on committee to assess student needs, and implement and improve support services.
DIME Music Theory Crash Course - Course author, Summer 2014.
- Authored and implemented eight-day accelerated music theory course designed to prepare students for college-level theory.
HFC Continuous Process Improvement Team - Member, Fall 2014.
- Worked with team to create a system to evaluate and track improvements to college in accordance with the Higher Learning Commission.
HFC Recording Certificate Advisory Board - Recruitment coordinator and program designer, 2014-present.
- Designed and implemented one-year certificate in recording arts.
- Recruited local recording professionals for board membership.
HFC Continuous Education Songwriting Course - Course author, Fall 2011.
- Designed and implemented two-week course in songwriting for non-majors.
Seaway Chorale and Orchestra, Trenton, MI.
Music Director, June 2014 to Present.
- Rehearse and perform with 60+ voice choir.
- Orchestrate, arrange, and compose music for concert performance.
- Recruit, prepare, and conduct 15-20 piece pit orchestra.
- Collaborate with board of directors on music selection, publicity, finances, and production.
Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, MI.
Guitar Accompanist and Vocalist, May 2013 to Present
- Lead six-vocalist ensemble on guitar, performing 1920s-era popular and jazz music.
- Sing in barbershop quartet.
- Sing carols in SATB quartet during winter holiday season.
The Anthony Lai Band, Dearborn, MI.
Performer, Producer, Songwriter, December 2009 to 2016.
- Compose and arrange music.
- Maintain promotional website.
- Book live performances.
- Produce recordings.
- Organize rehearsals and perform with 5-piece ensemble.
Henry Ford College, Dearborn, MI.
Recording Engineer, January 2007 to present.
- Engineer recording sessions.
- Served as contact point between theatre and music department for audio needs.
- Managed recording studio.
- Developed 1-year certificate program in recording arts.
- Lead recording certificate advisory board.
Select Commissions and Premieres
"When I Close My Eyes," premiered by The Aeolian Chorale, Allen Park, MI, 2018.
Charlotte’s Web, (electro-acoustic score for theatre production), commissioned by Concordia University Theatre Department, Ann Arbor, MI, 2016.
Dinosaurus!, (synthesized orchestral score to an interactive theatre production), commissioned by the Henry Ford College Virtual Theatricality Lab, Dearborn, MI, 2014.
Death of a Snowbird, (film score for chamber orchestra), commissioned by the International Broke Student Film Festival, Southfield, MI, 2013.
Snow White and the Dwarves: A Mini-Musical, (songs and score for pit orchestra), commissioned by the Henry Ford College Theatre Department, Dearborn, MI, 2013.
Orchestrations for “Symphony of Brands,” commissioned by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra with Chrysler Group, Detroit, MI, 2012.
Movement Macbeth, (electro-acoustic score for silent theatre production), commissioned by the Experimental Performing Arts Association, Dearborn, MI, 2012.
“Ages and Perspectives,” (symphony band), commissioned by the Band Boosters of Dryden Community Schools, Dryden, MI, 2011.
“Terra Incognita,” (alto saxophone and piano), commissioned by Donald Sinta, classical saxophonist, Ann Arbor, MI, 2009.
The Odyssey, (electro-acoustic score for theatre production), commissioned by Henry Ford College Theatre Department, Dearborn, MI, 2009.
Orchestrations for Championship Banner Ceremony, commissioned by the Detroit Red Wings, NHL hockey team, performed by the Wayne State University Orchestra, Detroit, MI, 2008.
“8 Days in June,” (string quartet), commission by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, performed by the Flux Quartet, Detroit, MI, 2008.
Hometown Dearborn, (television underscore), commissioned by the Dearborn Chamber of Commerce, Dearborn, MI, 2008.
Billy Goat’s Gruff, (recorder ensemble), commissioned by the Ann Arbor Recorder Society, Ann Arbor, MI, 2008.
“Farewell to Thee” and “Lama Sabachthani,” (SATB choir), commissioned by the Henry Ford College Music Department, Dearborn, MI, 2005.
Pretending 2 Run - Tiles, (art rock album), credited as engineer, 2016.
Behind the Sun, Part 2 - The Anthony Lai Band, (rock/folk/pop/symphonic-rock EP), credited as writer, producer, arranger, conductor, co-engineer, guitarist, vocalist, pianist, and bassist, 2015.
Christa’s Presents - Christa Grix, (classical and jazz harp album), credited as engineer and co-producer, 2014.
“Hey, It’s Alright” - Sarah Sherrard, (rock single), credited as co-writer, co-producer, guitarist, and vocalist, 2013.
Virtuoso Sentimento - Francesco Attesti, (classical piano album), credited as engineer, 2012.
“Winter in Michigan” - Sarah Sherrard and Anthony Lai, (pop single), credited as writer, arranger, producer, guitarist, vocalist, and keyboardist, 2012.
Behind the Sun, Part 1 - The Anthony Lai Band, (rock/folk/pop EP), credited as writer, producer, arranger, co-engineer, guitarist, vocalist, keyboardist, bassist, and ukulele player, 2012.
Where I Come From - Sarah Sherrard, (country rock EP), credited as rhythm guitarist, mandolin player, and vocalist, 2012.
Moonlight on Snow - Christa Grix, (classical and jazz harp album), credited as engineer, 2011.
“Down the Road” - The Anthony Lai Band, (rock single), credited as co-writer, arranger, producer, guitarist, vocalist, and keyboardist, 2012.
Home - Anthony Lai, (pop/rock album), credited as writer, producer, arranger, guitarist, vocalist, and keyboardist, 2010.
So Far, So Good - Life Lucid, (pop/rock EP), credited as mastering engineer and guitarist, 2010.
Eric Morgeson, engineer and producer for Aretha Franklin, Beyoncé, and The Clark Sisters.
Terry Brown, producer for Rush.
Luis Resto, co-producer and co-writer for Eminem.
Peter Keys, keyboardist for Lynyrd Skynyrd and Parliament-Funkadelic.
Mark “Sparky” Matejka, guitarist for Lynyrd Skynyrd.
“Cowboy” Eddie Long, pedal-steel guitarist for Hank Williams, Jr..
Francesco Attesti, internationally touring concert pianist.
Leonard Slatkin, music director for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
Kevin Nixon, producer for Pete Townshend of The Who.
Jena Irene Asciutto, recording artist and American Idol runner-up.
Salute to Valor- Co-director and chorister, Seaway Chorale with the Voices of Honolulu, conducted by Ed Lojeski, aboard USS Missouri at Pearl Harbor, Honolulu, HI, 2016.
Umbria Jazz Festival- Electric bass, Henry Ford Big Band, directed by Rick Goward, Perugia, Italy, 2015.
Michigan Democratic Party’s Inaugural Ball for President Barak Obama- Guitar, Henry Ford Big Band, directed by Rick Goward, Washington D.C., 2009.
Presentations and Adjudication
Guest Presenter, “The History of Rock and Roll” at the Flat Rock Historical Society, Flat Rock, MI, April and September, 2015.
Adjudicator, The American Guild of Music, Annual Great Lakes Regional Contest, Guitar Category, April 2013, 2014, and 2015.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Outstanding Classical Composer Nominee, Detroit Music Awards, 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2017.
Graduate-Professional Scholarship, Wayne State University, 2008-2010.
Activity Award in Music, Wayne State University, 2007-2009.
Departmental Award in Music Composition, Wayne State University, 2008.
Talent Scholarship in Music Composition, Wayne State University, 2006-2008.